Hi loves! Sorority recruitment is just weeks away and I know every chapter on campus can’t wait to meet our PNM’s (potential new members) I didn’t know what this stood for when I first read that word so just in case you didn’t know either that’s what it means but moving on. Every sorority has been planning and double checking that everything is perfect for this upcoming recruitment year and we can’t wait to meet you girls and possibly call you our sister!
I remember when I went through recruitment, I was so excited to go through and meet every chapter on campus that I hardly slept the night before open house (the first day of recruitment). I picked out all my outfits in advanced and stalked every girl that had her sororities name in her Instagram bio and I was READY to go. As each day went by and I was one step closer to finding my forever home I often found myself in situations throughout the long days where I would think to myself “wow I wish I had this right now”. So instead of you making the same mistakes I did, I put together a list of things that you could bring with you to make your rush week as easy as possible.
- A Fan- Ladies, it’s the middle of August it’s HOT outside and it’s even hotter walking around all day long. So do yourself a favor and invest in a fan you will thank yourself later.
2. An Umbrella- On the first day of open house it poured on us, We were all in grey t-shirts and it was hot and humid and let me tell y’all I looked like I had just walked out of a hurricane by house 5 of that day. It was rough, even my rain jacket was SOAKED, ( Another thing you should bring with you) So don’t be like me and bring an umbrella and a raincoat your hours of hard work on your hair and makeup will thank you later.
3. Blotting sheets- Going back to how dang hot it is outside, my makeup made my face look super oily from the heat and it just kept getting worse as the day progressed on. Keep some blotting sheets in your purse or with your gamma chi, you’ll be happy you did!
4. Bandaids- If you’re anything like me or the average girl, you like to choose your outfit over being practical, those cute wedges look super cute with your outfit until you reach house 4 and your entire back heel is covered in blisters. I get it, you want to look your best and no one is telling you, that you can’t but bring some band-aids to help you out along the way.
5. Gum- If I had to pick one thing to bring from this entire list it would be gum, ladies we want to talk to you and get to know you but keep in mind we are also talking to about 50 other girls at the same time we are talking to you so we are super close to each other for most of our conversation. Bring some gum as a courtesy to the girls you are going to be talking too, no one wants to be remembered as the girl who had bad breath.
6. A small bag- I mentioned this earlier, it’s not necessarily something you HAVE to have during recruitment but it’s nice to have something to carry your phone or lipstick in or the things I mentioned above. Even a clutch or a shoulder bag will do the trick!
Lastly, remember to come in with an open mind, coming into recruitment I already knew a lot of different girls from different sororities because I had grown up in the area so I had a pretty good idea of where I wanted to go. Turns out what I thought I wanted really wasn’t meant for me all along but that was okay because I’m super happy and proud to be apart of my sorority today. You will hear this phrase so many times during recruitment but “trust the process” you may think it’s dumb or not true but it’s there for a reason and it really does work, you will find the chapter that you’re meant to be in and you’ll eventually call it home.
Every chapter is different from the other but we all have one thing in common which is the love we have for our sisters and the love we have for being a part of something bigger than our own selves. Every sorority serves a different purpose to a different organization but at the end of the day we love being a part of Greek life and that’s what unites us. You will find your lifelong best friends and you’ll meet other girls who aren’t in your sorority too, you are going to do great and we can’t wait to meet you and welcome you home!